Emelia Marie Larsen and Andrew Peter Anderson

Homepage Oluf's Photos Oluf's Journal Life Information Oluf's Parents 1st Marriage 2nd Marriage 3rd Marriage 4th Marriage Special Sealing Oluf's Death Interesting Facts Name Locator Guest Book Contact Us

Andrew Anderson Family Memories

By Lane Anderson

November 10, 2009

My uncle Kirk recalls his grandfather Andrew Anderson homesteaded the farm about five miles north of Redmond in the early 30's. His dad, Oluf Anderson, and Oluf's brother, Ernest Anderson, went together in a farming venture they call "CAHOOTS". (This must have been after Andrew passed away.)  The ground is just west of the Salt Mine north of Redmond.  Kirk remembers that, when he went out to work on the farm, he would pass his uncle Vernal's farm, and think how nice it would be to irrigate on a level ground, where there wasn't any rock and there was plenty of sod you could use when you are watering.  But "you can wish in one hand and pit in the other and see which gets full the quickest."

The farm, which they called "N____r Hill," because of a black hill on the north corner of the land, is where they spent their growing up years. Kennard was the oldest, Kirk was in the middle, and Miles was the youngest brother. They raised sheep, hay, and sugar beets with their father, Oluf, & Ernest. Ernest had his step sons Phil, Earl, Boyd, & Arland helping out on the farm, but mostly the three older boys. They called them the "Murphy Boys" as they were born to Ernest's first wife, Grace Murphy prior to her death.

Ernest's sister, Ester, remembered Ernest at a family reunion: "Ernest was a robust, bronco-busting, sheep-man and farmer." Kirk recalls never liking Ernest much and Ernest didn't like him, "so the feeling was mutual." My mother, Glade can remember Ernest and doesn't recall him being much of a "church goer." 

One day the wind was blowing hard. Ernest said, "Well you boys go over on the north forty and dig post holes and then cover them up. I am going to Gunnison."  Ernest was always going to Gunnison after his first wife Grace died, until he met his second wife, Elva. Apparently Ernest was chasing a lot of women around back then. Kirk said that after he married Elva, the trips to Gunnison stopped.

Uncle Kirk recalls a time when Ernest was herding the sheep upon the State Canal, when his dog and a coyote got in a fight and rolled in the canal. Ernest had his rifle with him, but was afraid he would hit his dog if he shot at the coyote, so he jumped in on top of them and held the coyote under the water until he drowned him.

Kirk recalls that, the Murphy boys had big appetites and they could eat all their mother, Grace, sent with them and then some.  The farm had a sheep camp where they could prepare food while working on the farm.  One day Ernest, along with the Murphy's boys and the rest of the boys from the Anderson family, were out on the farm herding sheep. Adam was cooking a stew in camp about noon, and Boyd got hungry. He went into the old cook shack and lifted the lid on the pot of stew that Adam was cooking. It smelled so strong of garlic that he just put the lid back on the pot and left walking back to Redmond. The others came by and asked Adam where Boyd went.  Adam said, "the boy went in and lifted the lid on the stew and took off for home."